Broadheath is a town in Altrincham, Greater Manchester, England. Historically part of Cheshire, it had a population at the 2011 census of 12,538. Perhaps the area of Broadheath that most residents are most familiar with is the Broadheath Retail Park, this comprises a very busy shopping precinct with many popular shops and restaurants. Aldi and TJMaxx are situated in Broadheath, B and M, Hobby Lobby, The Range, Boots, and Homebase. There is a very popular MacDonalds restaurant. Close by also in Broadheath is the Asda Megastore.
The Bridgewater Canal was built in 1765 and passes through the Broadheath area, and because of its proximity to Manchester and to the Bridgewater Canal, Broadheath developed as a very busy and successful industrial area. At its height the industries in Broadheath supported perhaps 12,000 employees. With changing times over the years most of those manufacturing companies have either closed or relocated.
St Alban’s Church is in Lindsell Road, Broadheath,. It is an active Anglican parish church in the deanery of Bowdon, and the diocese of Chester. The church is a designated Grade II listed building.
The first church services in Broadheath were conducted in 1853 in a canal boat on the Bridgewater Canal. A school was constructed in 1871 and the church services were moved to the school. The construction of St Albans church was eventually started in 1899. The architects were Austin and Paley from Lancaster, and the first services were celebrated in November 1900. The church was not quite complete and so the vestry and bellcote were added two years later in 1902. In January 1911 St Alban’s was created a parish in its own right. The west end of the church was still not finished at the time, and was completed only much later the end of the 20th century, those final additions were consecrated in 2000 and then 2008 a baptismal font was constructed in the nave. This baptismal font is so huge it has been described as being “like a narrow swimming pool in the middle of the nave”
St Alban’s is made of brick with stone dressings, and has a roof made of clay tiles. Its plan consists of a nave with a clerestory, north and south aisles, north and south transepts, a vestry, and a chancel. The clerestory has three-light windows, and there are four-light windows along the sides of the aisles. The east window has five lights, and the west wall is blank. The south transept forms a continuation of the aisle, but the north transept is taller, it carries the bellcote, and has its own roof. The vestry has a pyramidal roof.